• Hi, If you cannot get into the site, be sure to Contact Us. Please be advised that the app is no longer in use!

alchol?????

Hi
No, it's quite the opposite. You'll probably find you will get drunker quicker from a lot less than before your op.
HTH x

Hi
No, it's quite the opposite. You'll probably find you will get drunker quicker from a lot less than before your op.
HTH x

OMG really!? i will be a cheap date then wont i in months to come with my starter portion sized meal and about 2 drinks!!! :8855::8855::8855::8855::8855:

Indeed you will!! At least it's a cheap night out!! Ha ha!

This thread made me giggle. lol x

sniffing it and you will be on your back :7834:

I been told I can not drink for 12 months :confused:

Many surgeons recommend no alcohol before 6-12 months. I think that with our metabolic changes it is safer to avoid alcohol for as long as your particular sugeon wants you to. There is also the psychological syndrome called 'transfer addiction' where you transfer you food addiction to alcohol. As long as you are sensible in your consumption & don't drive (you will register as drunk for almost double the time a non-bypasser does) you should be fine to have small amounts over several hours. Also remember that alcohol is very dehydrating and as bypassers, we have to maintain our fluids dilligently so make sure to follow drinking alcohol with lots of water. But again, always go by your own medical professional's advice in these matters since they know your medical history.

I didn't touch a drop until 12 weeks post op, and have been very careful with it since. I have tried a small amount of wine, and also vodka and coke. I can have two vodka and cokes and start feeling giggly so i stop there. It is something i do about three times a month.

Pre op, i used to drink 6 pints before i was drunk. My hubby thinks it's great cause i'm a cheap date. Eat a child's portion of a meal, and have two drinks and i'm anyone's LOL.

well...i am just back from my first night out post op...i had 4 cans of smirnoff and cranberry (they are doubles) and 3 baileys with ice all over about 6hrs...feel merry but in no way pi**ed...so maybe not true for me!!! my surgeon never mentioned not drinking...lets see how i feel tomorrow!?x

ohhh mermaid your a braver person than me i would of been scared stiff of dumping due to the sugar content. I was told that although you can have a drink to stick to low calorie non fizzy mixers with a light spirit or a glass of red wine (had my 3 inches at crimbo but felt quite woozie. would of usually managed 2 bottles), but to avoid it for the first 6 months as its empty calories and anything that is injested for the first 6 months should have a nutritional value. Glad you had a good night and enjoyed yourself.
take care
hc

Hiya

Ive just come back from a good beer session. i find if i dont eat i can drink with no problem and i can drink alot .

I was hoping to get the drunk feeling quicker so i would a cheap date , but alas i can drink as much as i used to.

i drink cider now but when i started drinking after the bypass i started with vodka and orange.

So yes you can drink with no problems but i cant drink after eating hard foods like red meat .

WOW i have not even considered a drink yet, being only a very rare ocassional drinker its not an issue at all, i susspect it would be many months before i have my first taste lol perhaps a sip of j's once in a while but i too would have been scared of dunping on sugar

the smirnoff and cranberry was lovely...dont think much sugar in it and its not a carbonated drink even though its in a can...its a 'flat' drink...i only had baileys once we were in town as i could not think of another non-fizzy drink! cant drink vodka and orange, its too acidic for me and i dont like wine! (yes i am a fussy bugger!) well today i woke up and had a lovely cuppa tea and i feel fine...no dumping. i dont drink on a regular basis anyway...its just that it was my best friends birthday...i prob wont have another drink until i go and see the lovely paul young at end of next month. thanks for all your advice though xxx

Hi, I copied this from Silversurfer's post (thanks for the good post SS!) from a different thread a few days ago:

Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass and Dumping Syndrome

Dumping syndrome is a common side effect after Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass (RNYGB) surgery. About 85% of gastric bypass patients will experience dumping syndrome at some point after surgery. The symptoms can range from mild to severe.
Dumping usually occurs due to poor food choices. It is related to the ingestion of refined sugars (including high fructose corn syrup) or high glycemic carbohydrates. It can also occur with dairy products, some fats, and fried foods. These foods rapidly empty from the gastric pouch into the small intestine which triggers a cascade of physiologic events.

The effect of dumping is twofold. It is both good and bad. The benefit is that if dumping occurs after eating these foods the patient is less likely to eat that food again. It is a built in mechanism that says, “I shouldn’t have eaten it the first time, and I definitely won’t eat it again.” This is called negative reinforcement. The fact is these foods will interfere with long-term weight loss and should not be eaten anyway.

The bad news is that dumping makes you feel awful; it can be confused with other problems; it is scary and sometimes difficult to manage; and it may have some short-term physiologic consequences.

There are two types of dumping:

1. Early dumping which occurs 30-60 minutes after eating and can last up to 60 minutes. Symptoms include sweating, flushing, light headedness, tachycardia, palpitations, desire to lie down, upper abdominal fullness, nausea, diarrhea, cramping, and active audible bowels sounds.
2. Late dumping which occurs 1-3 hours after eating. Symptoms are related to reactive hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) which include sweating, shakiness, loss of concentration, hunger, and fainting or passing out.

Early dumping occurs as a result of rapid emptying of sugars or carbohydrates from the gastric pouch into the small intestine which causes the release of hormones (gut peptides) that effect blood pressure, heart rate, skin flushing and intestinal transit, leading to a light-headed, rapid heart rate and flushing sensation often accompanied by diarrhea. Late dumping symptoms are related to increased insulin after oral glucose (sugar) with subsequent hypoglycemia (low blood sugar).
The diagnosis of dumping syndrome is primarily made by obtaining a history of the presence of classic symptoms related to food intake. Management of early dumping can be relatively straightforward. First, the symptoms should be discussed with the Bariatric Surgeon. Dietary compliance with avoidance of refined sugars, high glycemic carbohydrates, or other foods that may be associated with the syndrome would be the primary treatment.
Management of late dumping that persists in spite of the above dietary measures may be treated with a small amount of sugar (such as one-half glass of orange juice) about one hour after a meal, which may prevent the attack. Medications such as Acarbose or Somatostatin may be helpful if still symptomatic despite dietary changes. -. One should consider the rare possibility of insulinoma or neisidioblastosis of the pancreas if late dumping remains refractory to medical management.

In summary, although bothersome and sometimes worrisome, dumping syndrome is not a life-threatening problem. Repetitive patient education about what to eat and what not to eat can manage early and late dumping syndrome. Also patients need to learn about and read basic nutrition labels. The benefit is that it teaches patients quickly that certain foods and additives cannot be tolerated. Patient compliance and commitment to long-term follow-up are mandatory.

You can drink, but as others have said the malobsorbtion effect works the opposite way around and the alcohol goes to your head a lot quicker, you will also find that the effects of alcohol will make you over the drink drive limits at a lower consumption than a none bypasser, though i'd never consider drink driving anyway !
Personally i dont really drink much if at all these days, especially after i last got out of rehab lol ;)

As for addictions - mines switched from food to shopping :D for the first time in my life i've been able to walk into a clothes store and buy anything i've wanted, not because i really need it, but more because i can.......and it feels grrrreeeaaatttt ! :D

ss what a great position to be into ba able to go into any shop an know you will find something to fit. Im nearly there myself and its an increadable feeling starting at halfway along the rack instead of automatically going straight to the back.
How close to target are you now?
take care hc

Back